Fall 2016 textbook list
The Fall 2016 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 4244 Intermediate Semiconductor Processing Laboratory (3C)
Design, layout, fabricate, and characterize microelectronic devices. Analyze test results to verify performance to the predetermined specifications. Required oral and written reports.
This course provides the laboratory experience necessary to demonstrate all of the principles of semiconductor wafer design, fabrication, and testing. It is a critical course for preparing advanced undergraduate for working in a university research environment and/or the microelectronics industry.
C- or better in 2014, 4234 or MSE 4234. Typically offered: Fall. Program Area: Electronics.
A grade of C- or better is required in ECE/MSE 4234 because the underlying theory for all of the unit operations performed in this course are taught in ECE/MSE 4234, which is a mandatory prerequisite. Students without sufficient mastery of this essential material are at increased risk of failing ECE4240.
Capstone Design Course
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- Design the mask patterns required to fabricate a microelectronic device or circuit
- Work in a cleanroom environment using proper safety and cleanroom protocols required to assure integrity of the lab and wafer and safety of the student and coworkers
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing processing procedures including: wafer cleaning; wet dry oxidation; diffusion of dopants; metallization; wafer etching; and the use of an test station to measure the electrical properties of the devices created
- Master the use of a software package to accomplish objective 3
- Prepare written and oral reports describing the design, construction, and test results of the project.
|Cleanroom gowning and safety||5%|
|Photoresist deposition and developing|