Undergraduate and graduate students participate in a number of student organizations and societies within the Department.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Eta Kappa Nu (HKN)
Eta Kappa Nu is a national honorary society that accepts juniors and seniors in electrical engineering and computer engineering and graduate students in electrical engineering
NanoVT, a multidisciplinary student organization, promotes nanotechnology research among undergraduate and graduate students.
Linux and Unix Users Group (VTLUUG)
The Linux and Unix Users Group at Virginia Tech supports the use of Linux and Unix on campus and works to advance the computing skills of its members. The organization hosts InstallFests, crash courses, technical talks and other events throughout the year and hosts a wiki with howto and informational articles.
Student Projects that both undergraduate and graduate students can be involved in include:
- Independent Studies/Undergraduate Research
- Virgnia Tech Motorsports | Formula SAE Team
- IEEE Hardware Design Project
- Autonomous Aerial Vehicle Team
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle
There are also a number of other organizations in the University that are of particular interest to many electrical engineering and computer engineering students.
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Student Chapter
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Student Chapter
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) at Virginia Tech
- Student Engineers' Council (SEC)
- Virginia Tech Amateur Radio Association (VTARA)
- Cyber Security Club @ Virginia Tech