Fall 2016 textbook list
The Fall 2016 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 6154 Photonic Devices and Systems (3C)
Electromagnetic analysis of guided-wave optical devices and systems, including transmission properties of optical fibers, photonic crystal waveguides, grating structures, and coupled-wave components; soliton propagation in fibers; Erbium-doped and Raman fiber amplifiers; semiconductor light sources and photodetectors; wavelength-division multiplexed systems.
Photonic technology has grown enormously in applications and sophistication during the past decade. This course provides the essential knowledge needed for the development of state-of-the-art photonic systems for applications in communications, sensing, and instrumentation, as well as pursuing research in fiber optics and bio/nano photonics.
Typically offered: Spring. Program Area: Electromagnetics.
Thorough understanding of electromagnetic wave theory as covered in 5105 is required. Also, knowledge of partial differential equations and Bessel functions is essential for this course.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- analyze transmission properties of optical guides
- describe the mechanisms contributing to signal degradation in optical transmission links
- describe the performance characteristics of active components, including fiber amplifiers, laser diode, light emitting diode, and photodetector
- evaluate spectral characteristics of passive components, such as grating and coupler using coupled-mode theory
- design optical guides and passive guided-wave components with prescribed transmission characteristics
|Review of basic concepts; wave equation, modal properties||5%|
|Propagation in planar optical waveguides||5%|
|Transmission characteristics of step-index fibers||20%|
|Photonic crystal waveguides||10%|
|Multimode optical waveguides; ray analysis||10%|
|Designs for prescribed transmission characteristics||5%|
|WDM (wavelength division multiplexing) devices||15%|
|Soliton propagation in optical fibers||10%|
|Semiconductor light sources and detectors||10%|
|Optical fiber amplifiers||10%|