Fall 2015 textbook list
The Fall 2015 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 5586 Information Technology Security and Trust (3C)
Advanced security and trust concepts and implementation in wired and wireless computer networks and computer systems; malware defenses, impact of channel fragility, node mobility, cooperative functionality, and resource constraints on security and trust at the different layers of the Internet protocol stack. MIT Students Only (Master of Information Technology)
Typically offered: Spring. Program Area: Computers.
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: ECE 5585.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- Design secure applications and systems.
- Implement access controls.
- Use computer-based tools to identify untrustworthy software or communication circumstances.
- Implement and evaluate advanced attack mitigation and recovery techniques and technologies for various types of attacks at the different network layers.
- Describe the lifecycle of a trustworthy wireless network.
- Describe vulnerabilities and attacks on state-of-the-practice wireless networks.
- Describe key security, privacy, trust and performance metrics in wireless networks.
- Determine Return on Security Investment (ROSI).
|1. Overview of system and networking and applications||5%|
|2. Measures to secure applications||10%|
|3. Money, property - E-banking, digital signatures||15%|
|4. Hardware-based security||10%|
|5. General system vulnerability analysis and penetration testing||105%|
|6. Standards & compliance testing (ANSI, NIST, HIPAA, FERPA, SOX, GLBA)||15%|
|7. Trustworthy wireless network design issues||15%|
|8. Tools for securing systems||10%|
|9. Trustworthy network managment issues and techniques||10%|