Fall 2015 textbook list
The Fall 2015 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 5530 Configurable Computing (3C)
The design and implementation of high-performance computing machinery using configurable computing technology is studied. Contemporary computing methodologies are investigated, modeled, and constructed in laboratory exercises. Computational solutions are implemented by using field programmable gate arrays and adaptive computing devices.
This course will provide students the ability to design state-of-the-art computers and computing machinery. Theory discussed in the lecture, and skills acquired through the laboratory exercises are valued highly in the contemporary marketplace and in research institutions. The course introduces students to what is now a fundamental design technique applicable to many disciplines. The material presented in this course also serves to prepare a student for a career in computer design or in digital application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) design.
Typically offered: Spring. Program Area: Computers.
Prerequisites: 4514, 5504.
4514 (3H, 4C): Students are required to have the ability to model, test and evaluate hardware systems. 5504 (3H, 3C): Students are required to have a thorough understanding of computer organization and networks, along with the ability to design and evaluate performance metrics for such systems.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- Identify the historical milestones associated with the evolution of configurable computing.
- Design and analyze systems composed of (networks of) soft processors.
- Describe contemporary object-oriented schemas for dynamic resource management and reconfiguration.
- Identify contemporary challenges in compiler design for configurable systems.
- Describe processes and algorithms associated with evolvable and biologically inspired hardware and algorithms.
- Describe and evaluate the macro and micro architectures of contemporary field programmable gate arrays.
|Introduction to configurable computing||5%|
|Soft processors and cellular automata||15%|
|Performance metrics for configurable systems||10%|
|Co-design for computing systems||15%|
|Contemporary configurable systems||15%|
|Modular design and run-time reconfiguration||15%|
|Adaptive computing machines||10%|