Spring 2013 textbook list
The Spring 2013 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 4534 Embedded System Design (4C)
Introduction to the design of embedded computer sytems: design, implementation, and analysis of embedded computer hardware and software; design, implementation, and debugging of complex software applications on embedded systems; and fundamentals of real-time operating systems for embedded computers. Semester-long design project including written and oral presentations.
Embedded computing systems now far outnumber any other type of computing system. Computing devices are being added to an increasingly wide range of everyday products including automobiles, toys, and home appliances. The ability to design, implement, and analyze embedded computing systems is in demand in industry as well as academia.
Required course for CPE; Technical Elective for EE. Typically offered: Fall, Spring. Program Area: Computers.
Prerequisites: C- or better in prerequisites, 2534, 3574.
This course requires that students design, implement, debug, and analyze microprocessor-based systems. The course also requires that students design and implement multi-threaded software solutions. The required background is provided in ECE 2534 and ECE 3574.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- design embedded computer system hardware
- design, implement, and debug multi-threaded application software that operates under real-time constraints on embedded computer systems
- use and describe the implementation of a real-time operating system on an embedded computer system
- formulate an embedded computer system design problem incljuding multiple constraints, create a design that satisfies the constraints, implement the design in hardware and software, and measure performance against the design constraints
- create computer software and hardware implementations that operate according to well-known standards
- organize and write design documents and project reports
- organize and make technical presentations that describe a design.
|1. Hardware design and implementation for embedded systems||15%|
|2. Designing for testing and debugging||5%|
|3. Software environments for embedded systems||15%|
|4. Design and implementations of multi-threaded applications under real-time constraints||15%|
|5. Real-time operating systems for embedded computers||10%|
|6. Embedded system networks||10%|
|7. Experimental evaluation of embedded systems||10%|
|8. Advanced topics in embedded systems||10%|
|9. Documenting and reporting upon embedded system designs.||10%|