Spring 2013 textbook list
The Spring 2013 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 4514 Digital Design II (4C)
In this course, students will learn to use a hardware description language (VHDL) in the digital design process. Emphasis will be on system-level concepts and high-level design representations. Methods will be learned that are appropriate for use in automated synthesis systems. Students will have the opportunity to use commercial schematic capture and simulation tools to design a series of increasingly complex devices. Students will also use a logic synthesis tool and synthesize assignments into Field Programmable Gate Arrays.
This course provides advanced design techniques for digital systems. Both electrical engineers and computer engineers need to be able to design digital systems.
Design Technical Elective for CPE;. Typically offered: Fall, Spring. Program Area: Computers.
Prerequisites: C- or better in 3504.
ECPE 3504 is required prerequisite. ECPE 3504 contains material that is directly related to this course. Specifically, familiarity with Boolean Algebra, registers, counters, ROMs, PLAs, multiplexers, Karnaugh Maps, state tables, state assignments, Moore and Mealy circuits and asynchronous devices will be assumed.
For more information and description of recent project, see "EE/CPE Teams Denoise EKG Signals."
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- model digital systems using structural and data-flow techniques.
- model digital systems using behavioral techniques.
- construct test-bench models for digital systems.
- construct temporally correct models of combinational and sequential circuits.
- create structural designs using digital synthesis CAD tools.
- understand time-area trade-offs in the digital circuit design process.
- apply appropriate methods for use in automated and synthesis systems.
- use logic synthesis tools to target Field Programmable Gate arrays.
- gain design and team work experience.
|VHDL language syntax||15%|
|VHDL language semantics overview||15%|
|Simulating and testing digital systems||15%|
|Timing modeling and test benches||15%|
|Algorithmic and behavioral modeling||15%|
|Introduction to modeling for synthesis||10%|
|Introduction to synthesis of digital systems||10%|
|FPGA architectures and design||5%|