Spring 2013 textbook list
The Spring 2013 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 4214 Semiconductor Device Fundamentals (3C)
Fundamental semiconductor device physics associated with semiconductor materials and devices with an in-depth coverage of p-n and Schottky diodes, bipolar junction transistors, and metal-oxide-semiconductor and junction field effect transistors. A C- or better is required in all prerequisite courses.
The electrical engineer, computer engineer, materials scientist, or physicist who works in the electronics area must have a basic knowledge of semiconductor devices and materials.
Technical Elective. Typically offered: Spring. Program Area: Electronics.
Prerequisites: 2204 or MSE 3204 or PHYS 3455.
Changes in the required curriculum for the B.S.E.E. and B.S.Cp.E. degree programs as well as a need to expand the student population to include students from Materials Science and Engineering and Physics so that they may take the course as part of the Microelectronics minor, the prerequisites have been altered from ECE 3204 to any one of the following courses: ECE 2204 or MSE 3204 or PHYS 3455. Each of these courses cover an introduction to semiconductor materials.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- Determine the band structure of semiconductors when supplied with basic materials properties by applying their knowledge of quantum mechanics,
- Calculate carrier distributions in thermal equilibrium and non-thermal equilibrium conditions for intrinsic and doped semiconductors,
- Apply basic semiconductor drift-diffusion equations and continuity of Fermi energy to determine current flow in semiconductor devices,
- Determine alignment of metal-semiconductor band diagrams and identify whether a junction is Ohmic or Schottky, and
- Design a bipolar junction, metal-oxide-semiconductor and/or a field effect transistor that meets specific performance criteria through the selection of the appropriate semiconductor material(s), doping, and device dimensions.
|Crystal structures, Band Diagrams, & Quantum Mechanics||15%|
|Carrier Concentration and Fermi Level||10%|
|Recombination and Generation of Carriers||5%|
|p-n Diodes, Schottky Diodes, and Ohmic Contacts||20%|
|Bipolar Junction Transistors||15%|
|Field Effect Capacitors||10%|
|JFET and CMOS Transistors||5%|