Fall 2014 textbook list
The Fall 2014 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 4114 Antennas (3C)
Antenna fundamentals, analysis and design principles, and a survey of antenna types including: arrays, wire antennas, broadband antennas, and aperture antennas.
This course introduces students to the topic of antennas, including terminology, basic principles, mathematical analysis, and design guidelines. Antennas find wide application in government and commercial systems. The demand for RF engineers with an understanding of antennas is extremely high. This course prepares electrical engineers for careers in antennas.
Capstone Technical Elective for EE; Technical Elective for CPE. Typically offered: Spring. Program Area: Electromagnetics.
Prerequisites: C- or better in 2014, 3106.
A basic understanding of electromagnetic fields is required as taught in 3106.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- Use basic analysis and design tools to design antenna systems;
- Select the appropriate antenna type for specified operating frequencies and radiation characteristics;
- Design the required hardware;
- Compare the major antenna types in terms of their advantages and disadvantages.
- Organize and write technical reports
- Organize and make technical presentations
|Radiation calculation procedures||5%|
|Electrically small antennas||10%|
|Antennas in systems||5%|