Fall 2013 Research Course Highlights:
- ECE 4994: Exploring Pervasive and Physical Computing: Work in teams to design and implement pervasive computing system prototypes using open source hardware and software.
- ECE 4994: Humanoid Robot Control for the DARPA Robotics Challenge: Develop human-robot interfaces and control software for the DARPA Robotics Challenge, a disaster response scenario.
ECE encourages undergraduates to gain hands-on experience in our cutting-edge laboratories.
Depending upon interests and abilities, undergraduates can contribute in many ways, including design, measuring, construction, animation, and programming.
How to find research opportunities
- Sometimes opportunities are advertised in the relevant classes or posted on the student listserv.
- Most opportunities arise when an interested student approaches a professor with strong interest and proven ability.
- Students may also propose an independent research project, which they develop in consultation with their advisor.
Undergraduate Research Examples
The Hume Center offers scholarships for undergraduates interested in pursuing careers in intelligence, defense, or national security. Read more about student programs at the Hume Center in the 2013 ECE Annual Report.
The Virginia Tech SuperDARN radar group conducts research on Earth's space environment using a network of over 25 radars. Students are involved with all aspects of research, including hardware design, operations, and data analysis.Wireless@VT Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
Each summer, students participate in a 10-week research and education program studying cognitive communications in the Wireless@VT labs.E-Textiles
Student researchers at the E-Textiles lab are working to develop wearable computers and large-scale sensor networks from fabrics that have electronics and interconnections woven into them.MagnumGroup
Students in the Mobile Application computinG, optimizatioN, and secUrity Methods Group develop smartphone applications and conduct research in cloud computing.
CPES provides support to students for research in a variety of areas, including power devices, electronic packaging, CAD tools, digital signal processors, analog devices, power conversions, and motor drivers and control.IT Security Lab
Undergraduates at the Information Technology Security Lab assist faculty with cyber security and privacy research and have the option to develop their own independent study projects.
Center for Embedded Systems for Critical Applications (CESCA)
Undergraduates at CESCA are conducting research in many areas of embedded systems, including microcontroller cryptography and concurrent software testing and verification.Project Ellie
Project Ellie is an undergraduate research team that launches high altitude weather balloons for data and image collection. Students are involved with every step of balloon missions, including design, launch, and retrieval.