Fall 2014 textbook list
The Fall 2014 ECE textbook list is available online for students.
Current Prerequisites & Course Offering
For current prerequisites for a particular course, and to view course offerings for a particular semester, see the Virginia Tech Course Timetables.
ECE 5240G Advanced Semiconductor Processing Laboratory (3C)
Design, layout, fabricate, and characterize microelectronic devices. Analyze test results to verify performance to the predetermined specifications. Participate on a team project in which they will develop processes used to fabricate more advanced devices and/or circuits. Required oral and written reports.
This course provides the laboratory experience necessary to demonstrate all of the principles of semiconductor wafer design, fabrication, and testing. It is a critical course for preparing graduate students for working in a university research environment and/or for working in the microelectonics industry.
Typically offered: Spring. Program Area: Electronics.
Prerequisites: 4234 or MSE 4234. May not be taken if credit has been previously earned for ECE 4244.
A grade of C- or better is required in ECE/MSE 4234 because the underlying theory for all of the unit operations performed in this course are taught in ECE/MSE 4234, which is a mandatory prerequisite. May not be taken if credit has been previously earned for ECE 4244 as there is a 60% overlap bweteen the material in the two courses.
Department Syllabus Information:Major Measurable Learning Objectives:
- 1. Design the mask patterns required to fabricate a microelectronic device or circuit.
- 2. Work in a cleanroom environment using proper safety and cleanroom protocols required to assure integrity of the lab and wafer and safety of the student and coworkers.
- 3. Demonstrate proficiency in performing processing procedures including: wafer cleaning; wet dry oxidation; diffusion of dopants; metallization; wafer etching; and the use of a test station to meaure the electrical properties of the devices created.
- 4. Master the use of a software packae to accomplish objective 3.
- 5. Collaborate on a team project to develop prodesses used to fabrication advanced devices and/or circuits.
|1. Device design||10%|
|3. Wafer cleaning and oxidation||10%|
|4. Photoresist, diffusion, and metlization||10%|
|5. Wafer testing||10%|
|6. Process development and characterization||20%|
|7. Report preparations and oral presentation||20%|