Office: 347 Durham Hall
Mailing Address: 302 Whittemore (0111)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Tel: (540) 231-2946
vt.edu Email: jsthorp
Title: Hugh P. and Ethel C. Kelly Research Professor
Ph.D., Cornell, 1962
M.S., Cornell, 1961
B.S., Cornell, 1959
James S. Thorp joined the faculty at Virginia Tech in 2004. He now holds the position of the Hugh P. and Ethel C. Kelly Professor Emeritus, after having served as the Department Head. He was the Charles N. Mellowes Professor in Engineering and Director of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University from 1994-01. He was on the faculty at Cornell from 1962-2004. Thorp was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1996, and was elected Fellow of the IEEE in 1989 “for contributions to development of digital techniques for power system protection.”
Professor Thorp was Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery (Power System Relaying) from 1998-01, and is currently a member of the Editorial Board. He was Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems from 1985-87., a Faculty Intern at the American Electric Power Service Corporation in 1976, and was an Overseas Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge, England in 1988. He is a member of the IEEE Power System Relaying Committee, CIGRE, Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, and Sigma Xi.
Professor Thorp is interested in the protection and control of large-scale-power systems including algorithms for digital protection, adaptive relaying, and real-time control of power systems using measurements obtained from microprocessor relays and Phasor Measurement Units. In addition, he studies the complicated dynamical behavior of power systems including the generation of “fractals” by such systems, and the mechanisms of cascading disturbances.
- Birman, K.P.; Chen, J.; Hopkinson, K.; Thomas, R.J.; Thorp, J.; Vanrenesse, R.; Vogels, W.; “Overcoming Communications Challenges in Software for Monitoring and Controlling Power Systems”, Proceedings of the IEEE Volume 93, Issue 5, May 2005 Page(s):1028 - 1041
- Jie Chen, Timothy D. Mount, James S. Thorp , Robert J. Thomas, “Location-Based Scheduling and Pricing for Energy and Reserves: A Responsive Reserve Market Proposal”, Accepted for publication in Special issue on competitive electricity market of Journal of Decision Support System. October 2005
- Coury, D.V.; Thorp, J.S.; Hopkinson, K.M.; Birman, K.P., “An agent-based current differential relay for use with a utility intranet”, Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on , Volume: 17 Issue: 1 , Jan. 2002, Page(s): 47 -53
- Wang, H.; Thorp, J.S., “Optimal locations for protection system enhancement: a simulation of cascading outages”, Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, Volume: 16 Issue: 4 , Oct. 2001, Page(s): 528 –533
- J. Chen, J. S. Thorp, and M. Parashar, “Analysis of Electric Power System Disturbance Data,” Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-34), Maui, Hawaii, January 2001.
- D. V. Coury, J. S. Thorp, K. M. Hopkinson, and K. P. Birman, “Agent Technology Applied to Adaptive Relay Setting for Multi-Terminal Lines,” IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, Seattle, Washington, July 2000.
- C-W Liu and J. S. Thorp, “New Methods for Computing Power System Dynamic Response for Real-Time Transient Stability Prediction”, IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems I: Fund. Theory & Appl., Vol. 47, No. 3, March 2000, pp. 324-337.
- The Role of the Protection System in Major Disturbances in Power Systems”(with Jie Chen) in The Internet as a Large-Scale Complex System, Oxford University Press, 2004
- “Agent Technology Applied to Protection of Power Systems”(with Xiaoru Wang, Kenneth Hopkinson, Denis Coury, and Renan Giovanini) in Autonomous Systems and Intelligent Agents in Power System Control and Operation, C Rehtanz, ed, Springer, 2003
- Toomey, D.; Schulze, W.; Schuler, R.; Thomas, R.; Thorp, J.; “Reliability, Electric Power, and Public Versus Private Goods: A New Look at the Role of Markets”, System Sciences, 2005. HICSS '05. Proceedings of the 38th Annual Hawaii International Conference on 03-06 Jan. 2005 Page(s):58b - 58b
- James S. Thorp, Xiaoru Wang, Kenneth H. Hopkinson, Denis V. Coury , Renan Giovanini, “Agent Technology Applied To The Protection Of Power Systems”, Securing Critical Infrastructures, Grenoble, October 2004
- James S Thorp, “Cluster Computing: A Tool for Looking Before Leaping”, Electricity Transmission in Deregulated Markets: Challenges, Opportunities, and Necessary R&D Agenda, Carnegie Mellon, December 15-16, 2004
- Giovanini, R.; Coury, D.V.; Hopkinson, K.M.; Thorp, J.S.; “A primary and backup cooperative protection system based on wide area agents” Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition: Latin America, 2004 IEEE/PES 8-11 Nov. 2004 Page(s):428 - 434
- Jie Chen, J S. Thorp, Robert J. Thomas, Timothy D. Mount, “Locational Pricing and Scheduling for an Intergrated Energy-Reserve Market”, Proceedings of the 36th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January 2003
- Chen,J. and Thorp, J S “A Reliability Study Of Transmission System Protection Via A Hidden Failure Dc Load Flow Model” Fifth International Conference On Power System Management And Control (PSMC), April 17, 2002, London
- Dobson, I. Chen J., Thorp, J.S. Carreras, B.A.; Newman, D.E.; “Examining criticality of blackouts in power system models with cascading events”, Proceedings of the 35th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January 2002
- Huang, Liling, Parashar, Manu, Phadke A.G , Thorp, J S “Effects Of Electromechanical Wave Propagtion On Protection Systems, Power Systems and Communication Systems Infrastructures for the Future, Bejing October 2002
- X. R. Wang, K. M. Hopkinson, J. S. Thorp, R. Giovanini, K. Birman, D. Coury, “Developing an Agent-based Backup Protection System for Transmission Networks”, , Power Systems and Communication Systems Infrastructures for the Future, Bejing October 2002
- Coury, D.V.; Thorp, J.S.; Hopkinson, K.M.; Birman, K.P., “Improving the Protection of EHV Teed Feeders Using Local Agents”, Seventh International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2001, pp 527-530
- Parashar, M. Thorp, J.S. “Continuum AC Power Flow Modeling of Large Scale Power Systems “IASTED International Conference on Power and Energy Systems (PES2001), November 2001, Tampa, Florida
- Coury, D.V.; Thorp, J.S.; Hopkinson, K.M.; Birman, K.P.; “Agent technology applied to adaptive relay setting for multi-terminal lines”, Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 2000. IEEE , Volume: 2, 16-20 July 2000, Page(s): 1196 -1201 vol. 2
- Koeunyi Bae; KyungSoo Han; Thorp, J.S.; “Nodal-price dependent, dual-mode transmission line protection strategy”, System Sciences, 2000. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Jan 4-7, 2000, Page(s): 1330 -1337
Computer Relaying for Power Systems
By Arun G. Phadke and J. S. Thorpe
(Research Studies Press)