Commercializing photovoltaic inverters (2012 Annual Report)
Making solar energy affordable, efficient (2011 Annual Report)
The new solar: Making solar energy affordable, efficient & user-friendly (2010 Annual Report)
FreedomCAR: Seeking 98.5% efficiency (2008 Annual Report)
Seeking 20x cost savings for fuel cell inverter (Feb. 2003)
A powerful dream, but it needs EEs to make it work (2003 Annual Report)
Blue diamond transistor (2003 Annual Report)
Office: 106 Plantation Road
Mailing Address: 302 Whittemore (0111)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Tel: (540) 231-4741
Fax: (540) 231-3362
vt.edu Email: laijs
Affiliated Research Group
Future Energy Electronics Center
Title: James S. Tucker Professor
Ph.D., Univ. of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1989
M.S., Univ. of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1985
B.S., National Taiwan Norman Univ., 1975
High-power converters for utility applications
- DC Fast Charger, sponsored by Princeton Power.
- PM Motor Drive Control Development, sponsored by Industrial Technology Research Institute
- Wind Generation Control for Smart Grid, sponsored by Institute of Nuclear Energy Research
- Photovoltaic Inverter Development, sponsored by Virginia CIT
- Field Verification of High-Penetration Levels of PV into the Distribution Grid, Sponsored by DOE HiPen PV Program
- Y. Cho, T. LaBella, and J.-S. Lai,, “A Three-Phase Current Reconstruction Strategy With Online Current Offset Compensation Using a Single Current Sensor,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, pp. 2924-2933, July 2012.
- H. Ma, J.-S. Lai, Q. Feng, W. Yu, C. Zheng, and Z. Zhao, “A Novel Valley-Fill SEPIC-derived Power Supply without Electrolytic Capacitor for LED Lighting Application,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 3057-3071, June 2012.
- P. Sun, J.-S. Lai, C. Liu, and W. Yu, “A 55kW Three-Phase Inverter Based on Hybrid-Switch Soft-Switching Modules for High Temperature Hybrid Electric Vehicle Drives Application,” IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, pp. 962–969, May 2012.
- P. Sun, J.-S. Lai, C. Liu, and C.-L. Chen, “Grid-Tie Control of Cascade Dual-Buck Inverter with Wide-Range Power Flow Capability for Renewable Energy Applications,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 1839 – 1849, April 2012.
- Z. Zhao, M. Xu, Q. Chen, Y. Cho, and J.-S. Lai, “Derivation of Boost-Buck Converter Based High-Efficiency Robust PV Inverter,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 1304 – 1313, March 2012.
- Y. Cho, A. Koran, H. Miwa, B. York, and J.-S. Lai, “An Active Current Reconstruction and Balancing Strategy with DC Link Current Sensing for a Multi-Phase Coupled-Inductor Converter,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 1697-1705, April 2012.
- P. Sun, C. Liu, J.-S. Lai, and C.-L. Chen, “Cascade Dual Buck Inverter with Phase-Shift Control,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 2067 – 2077, April 2012.
- P. Sun, C. Liu, J.-S. Lai, C.-L. Chen, and N. Kees, “Three-Phase Dual-Buck Inverter with Unified Pulse Width Modulation,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 1159 – 1167, March 2012.
- W. Yu, J.-S. Lai, G. Lisi, H. Ma and C. Zheng, “High Efficiency DC-DC Converter with Twin-Bus for Dimmable LED Lighting,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, pp. 2095-2100, August 2011.
- C. Liu, P. Sun, J.-S. Lai, Y. Ji, M. Wang, C.-L. Chen, G, Cai, “Cascade dual-boost/buck active-front-end converter for intelligent universal transformer,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, pp. 4671–4680, December 2012.