Team strives to thwart cyber physical attacks (2013 Annual Report)
Mathematical modeling to fight breast cancer (2012 Annual Report)
Noise model overturns accepted RNA notions (Feb. 2009)
Applying system identification to biology (2007 Annual Report)
A quieter headset, nearly perfect results (Fall 2003)
Office: 442 Whittemore
Mailing Address: 302 Whittemore (0111)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Tel: (540) 231-4446
Fax: (540) 231-3362
vt.edu Email: baumann
Title: Associate Professor
Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University, 1985
M.S. E.E., M.I.T., 1980
B.S. E.E., Lehigh University, 1978
Classical and modern control system design, microprocessor systems, system identification, electronics
Computational Biology, Biomedical Applications, Control. Recent work involves dynamic modeling of biological systems. One project involves modeling breast cancer cells to understand how they become resistant to therapy. Another project involves stochastic modeling of the yeast cell cycle to produce a more accurate model of this important system as well as to understand the impact of molecular noise on cell cycle progression.
- Stochastic Models of Cell Cycle Regulation, NIH, 2006-2014, with J. Tyson, Y. Cao, C. Shaffer, and J. Peccoud.
- ER-Related Activities Affect Breast Cancer Susceptibility and Responsiveness to Endocrine Therapy, NIH, Cancer Systems Biology Center, 2010-2015. PI: Robert Clarke, Georgetown University Medical Center.
- Computational Biology
- Robert Clarke, Katherine L. Cook, et al., “Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress, the Unfolded Protein Response, Autophagy, and the Integrated Regulation of Breast Cancer Cell Fate,” Cancer Research, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1321-31, March 2012.
- J. J. Tyson, W. T. Baumann, et. al., “Dynamic Modeling of Estrogen Signaling and Cell Fate in Breast Cancer Cells,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 11, pp. 523-532, July 2011.
- D. A. Ball, T.-H. Ahn, P. Wang, K. C. Chen, Y. Cao, J. J. Tyson, J. Peccoud, and W. T. Baumann, “Stochastic Exit from Mitosis in Budding Yeast: Model Predictions and Experimental Observations,” Cell Cycle, vol. 10, pp. 999-1009, March 2011.
- D. Barik, W. Baumann, M. Paul, and J. Tyson, “A Model of Yeast Cell Cycle Regulation Based on Multisite Phosphorylation,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 6, no. 405, August 2010.
- Thermo-Acoustic Instability
- J.M. Carson, W. T. Baumann, and W.R. Saunders, “Pulsed Control of Thermo-Acoustic Instabilities: Analysis and Experiment,” Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 1-7, July 2009.
- C. Martin, J. Ranalli, U. Vandsburger, and W. Baumann, “Characteristic Linear Dynamics of Kinetically Controlled Burning,” Combustion Theory and Modeling, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 921-946, December 2009.